the side of social media marketing that nobody talks about


Social Media has actually changed and shaped the world we live in today. For better or for worse, it is here to stay. And not only do I get to use social media for my own personal life but I also am one of those "lucky" few who get paid to manage social media accounts. I started with Facebook back in 2011. Five years later our Facebook numbers have grown by 2000+, and we have added a Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+ and more to our social media output. <—This is the definition of doing the most. ðŸ™ƒ

I put lucky in quotes (see above ^) because even though I am incredibly blessed to be able to work from the comfort of my own home, there are several downsides that I really wish someone had told me before I started down this career path.



ONE // You must develop a thick skin.
When your company or brand you manage comes under fire, you have to be prepared for anything and everything. For me this was one of the first lessons I learned and trust me, I am better for it now. For a time I struggled with attacks on my company because so much of my own identity was in what I was putting out. I had to quickly come to a mindset where I took the personal out of it and just started to roll with the punches. Now an attack on my company is not necessarily an attack on me. It is a low-ball comment from someone who just wants to make people feel bad and frankly their opinion does not matter to me. 
Side note: Perhaps becoming cynical is a side effect of developing a thick skin.

TWO // Realize that Social Media life is not the real life.
This is one that I still struggle with and I constantly have to take a step back and check myself. Depression and anxiety are very real and comparing your own life to the virtual lives of others on social media is unrealistic. I have to remind myself that the lives that people live online are not the whole story.  You have to remember that a social media life is a life through rose-colored glasses. 
"Comparison is the thief of joy."—Theodore Roosevelt 

THREE // You need to form solid boundaries.
Oh, boy. I am not an expert at this, but I do realize that it is necessary, so do I at least get some brownie points for that? Social media can take over a lifequickly and silently. I often find myself distracted mid-sentence because someone tagged us in a post on Instagram or tweeted back at us. This is something that I am always trying to combat. Some best practices is to know when to stop working and be in the moment. I also have quiet hours where I refuse to look at a screen (Do Not Disturb function on iPhone is possibly the best invention ever). 

FOUR // Get your company to front your data bill. 
You will need the most data you can get. I kid you not. Especially if you plan to be managing multiple social media accounts (well) like I do. Do not skimp on your data plan. Make sure you get the best rates coming out the door or you might end up owing your soul to your service provider. 

Overall, I'm not complaining. I love my job and the impact I get to tangible see. But I know that Social Media Marketing isn't for everyone so I hope this can help you discern whether or not it is the right move for you.


Any tips on how to manage Social Media better?

later, Chels
follow along on twitter & instagram

1 comment