My Thoughts About Texting (And Why I am Terrible at It)



Texting is a huge modern convenience that I feel like we often take it for granted. Years ago, communication had to be done through phone calls, telegrams, letters, etc. Today, texting gives you immediate gratification. You know within seconds of pressing send, the person you are trying to contact will read, and (if they are not me) will likely respond to your message.


I know this post might just get me in the dog house with some people. Trust me, I understand that my "species" (bad texters) are the worst... So have mercy on me, my texting adequate friends. (Disclosure: I will be poking fun at myself)


Currently I have 112 unresponded text messages. No this is not because I am immensely popular. And also not because I am in 5 group messages. This issue started several years ago and has been propelled into a full blown epidemic as of late. 



I used to be a great texter back in high school; it was the thing to do. Everyone had conversation at their disposal; literally, at their fingertips. I would whip out my Blackberry (because Blackberrys were cool then) and text 500 words a minute to my "best" and "closest" friends. 

Looking back now I have come to regret the time I have spent on seemingly meaningless conversation. 

luv u
thnx. luv u 2. let's hang out
yesssss lol. i am so over hw

Back and forth like this seems trivial to me as someone who desires a more intimate connection with people. 

I started becoming a bad texter towards the end of high school. I realized that so much time was spent on virtually contacting people instead of actually being with people. I started to prioritize actually spending time with friends. And I realized that only some of my friendships needed more attention than others. In other words, I could not be friends with everybody.

College happened and I joined a sorority. My texting took a dive mostly because I was overwhelmed by the fact that my sisters were able to text constantly (disclosure: this is not necessarily a bad thing). Group texts were now a thing and there was no "mute" 3 years ago. I would have to endure the 100+ messages that came through my inbox in a 10 minute time period. I got to the point where I would look at a text, respond to it in my head, and then forget about it because 10 other texts would be crying for my attention. It was overwhelming. Enough for me to just turn off my phone (something that I have, and probably will continue, to do from time to time).


Today I try to use texting as a way to enhance to my communication, not as the primary way to communicate. I am still struggling to get it in the right balance, so any insight on my current position is appreciated. 

Please forgive me if you have ever been a victim of my non-responsiveness and know that I still love and care for you. I am a work in progress. I also want to encourage you to think about the balance of texting in your own life. Sometimes we all just need a reminder to put the phone down and spend time with the people in your life. 

later, Chelsea
follow along on twitter & instagram.

No comments